Monday, February 2, 2009

Recordmendation - Memory Cassette


As noted in my 2008 mix post - my record consumption in 2008 was at an all time low. I have gone from picking up about 3-5 albums a week to maybe 3-5 a month. I have been sticking to safe bets like new albums by bands that never disappoint and always build on their previous work (see Animal Collective, Portishead, etc.) It's hard for me to really get behind a new band unless they really blow me away and stand out in my collection. Last year that band was Air France and this year I have a new cleared space in my heart for my new love - NJ's own Memory Cassette. Not ironically the debut EP from Memory Cassette will be coming out on Acephale Records, which is also the home of Air France (according to GvB). The similarities between Air France and Memory Cassette are noticeable - they both make beautiful, dreamy, electronic sunshine pop. What sets Memory Cassette apart is the live vocals as a substitute to looped vocal samples. The vocals are in complete unison with the emotional tone and composition to compliment the groove whether it be a downtempo eye closer or a four-on-the-floor ass rocker. You can find the first two EPs "The Hiss We Missed" and "Rewind While Sleeping" for free over at the weird tapes blog or you can check out some head nodders over at myspace. That's about all you will find. There is certainly an aura of mystery surrounding the project. No photos. No info or blog entries. Worst off - no news on touring, but if they come anywhere around DC you will be sure to see me noting the instruments used to bring amazing headphone music to the stage. Enjoy and support the project as soon as the EP comes out for sale (not sure if it is one of the two aforementioned EPs or a new one).

Weird Tapes
Memory Cassette's Myspace

No comments: