Monday, February 9, 2009

Pick Of The Crate - Disco Lady

A terrible thing happened to music in the late 70s and unfortunately funk and soul music were not immune to the epidemic. This plague was disco. Between 1975 and 1979 a lot of hybrid albums were popping up all over the place fusing funk and disco. I blame Van McCoy, but there are a lot of other people who helped propel this genre. I generally steer clear of these records, but every once in a while I come across one that really melded the sound in a pleasing way and could have led the revolution had disco not died a firey death one night at Comiskey Park. The record I wanted to display for people's exhibit A is George Franklin Smallwood's "Disco Lady".


This copy is a reissue pressed by my friend Kevin over at www.dcsoulrecordings.com. I don't know much about the history of the man, but the music speaks for itself and was good enough to be chosen as a DC/VA/MD record that needed wide-spread re-release. If you would like a copy please contact Kevin. I think he is doing a second run in the near future (although he may still have some on hand now.) Enjoi.

No comments: