Friday, November 7, 2008

Otis Redding - You Left The Water Running














It's hard not to fall in love with the simplicity of the title and the concept. It would be nice to be able to charge folks for the pain they've caused you. It also doesn't hurt that this song was sung by one of the best soul singers in the history of everything.

If I could counter-charge Verizon for the torment they have put me through, I'm pretty sure I'd break even and not have to pay for my cable, phone and internet. I called them the other day, wrestled past the robot that insisted that she could handle my issue, only to be hung up on by her and instructed to please try the whole process again later for another chance at a real person. It would be bliss to send them a confusing and poorly organized bill for $49.13 for my time wasted on the phone, that they would have no choice but to pay (preferably on auto-bill).

So like I said, simple concept. You left. You made Otis cry? Fine, if that's the way you want it, but just wait til you get your water bill to pay.

Shame on you.

4 comments:

PushPin said...

While I do like this version of the song, my favorite version, and possibly the first version, is going to be by James and Bobby Purify (most recognized in the community for performing, "I'm Your Puppet".) This is the version I have from the LP "Purify". It's a lot faster and more upbeat.

http://www.divshare.com/download/5771733-4d7

Lojak said...

Thanks for the link. I have to say that I'm biased toward the Otis version though. Possibly in part due to my hearing the Otis version first, but also in part due to the fact that he could out sing almost every other soul singer ever. Plus I think the slower tempo works for the sentiment. He's not happy to be singing about all these tears he's cried.

Lojak said...

But, oh snap. This Maurice & Mac version ain't bad either. Apparently the song was first recorded by Wilson Pickett, and was also done by Sam & Dave. So this brawl has just turned into a battle royale:

http://funky16corners.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/maurice-mac-you-left-the-water-running/

PushPin said...

Interesting. The credits on my Purify LP are to "Penn-Oldham". The same duo who are credited on "Wish You Didn't Have To Go" and "I'm Your Puppet". Not to mention that on this LP James and Bobby Purify do a rendition of "I've Been Loving You Too Long" by Otis. This could be a chicken/egg debate.