Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Decathlon

I've been listening to a lot of mega-mixes lately and I noticed that I am more prone to listen to a song all the way through if it is over 10 minutes in length compared to a song, say, 6 minutes long. Often I find these are droning indie-rock songs or repetitious down-tempo staples. I checked my itunes library and there is a surprising amount of 10+ minute songs that I not only listen to completely, but commonly. Here is my top ten list of most played in order of length according to itunes (no mixes allowed) and please use the comments section to list some of yours:

- Take Care Of Yourself by Owen - 10:10
- Street Hassle by Lou Reed - 10:53 (yeah, I know it's in three parts)
- Grey Machine by Pinback - 11:08
- Born Slippy by Underworld - 11:37
- In/Flux by DJ Shadow - 12:14
- Bros by Panda Bear - 12:30
- Respect Is Due by The Dismemberment Plan - 12:35
- Soop Groove No.1 by Stereolab - 13:07
- Late One Sunday by American Analog Set - 13:13
- Helmet to Ecstatic by The Rum Diary - 14:20

2 comments:

Lojak said...

The opposite is true for me most of the time. Although I remember our man B.K. made essentially the same statement once that you did in this post.

I R REZOLUT said...

My iTunes, CD collection and LP collection are so disparate that I'd be lucky to figure out if more than two songs that I both own AND listen to are more than ten minutes long- except for In/Flux... But that's like cheating, because it's on your list.